Friday, June 17, 2011

When 3 year Olds Compromise


*Author's note:  The following will be deleted when the subject of said blog reaches myspace age. 
Today's conversation involved me, Venice, lunch and candy.  We had come home from preschool and Miss V was demanding "wunch."
I offered her a choice between peanut butter and jelly, grilled cheese, or a corndog.  She went with corndog.
I nuked said corndog, put it in front of her, gave her some milk and said, "Here you go!"
Venice:  I don't want it.
Me:  You asked for corndogs, remember?
Venice:  I don't want it.
Me:  This is lunch today.  Tomorrow we will have something else.
Venice:  I don't want it.
Me:  Well, this is lunch.
Venice:  I don't want it.
Me:  *ignoring her*
Venice:  I'm finished, Dani.  I count 5 candies now, okay?
Me:  No candies because you didn't eat your corndog.
Venice:  I don't want it.
Me (finding a loop hole and resorting to bribery):  If you eat your corndog, you can have 5 candies.
Venice:  Yeah, 5 candies.
Me:  Eat your corndog and you can count 5 candies.
Venice:  I want 5 candies, Dani.
Me:  Then eat your corndog.
Venice:  I don't want it.
Me:  If you want candy, you need to eat your corndog.
(Are you still with me, people?  Trust me, it's much longer in person.)
Venice:  I don't want it.
Me:  Then no candy.
Venice:  I want 5 candies, Dani.
Me:  Then eat your corndog.
Venice:  I don't want it.
Ad infintum.
How do you think this ended, perchance?  Who won?  Did the 45 year old hold out and teach the 3 year old consequences?  Or did the 3 year old walk all over the 45 year old and get what she wanted?
Here's what we did:  We compromised.
She did not eat her corndog.  She did get 5 candies. 
Shut up

No comments:

Post a Comment