Friday, June 17, 2011

Another Conversation With Venice

Today was one of those days that I got to pick Venice up from pre-school and take her home.  I love those days for a variety of reasons.  I get to hold her little hand and listen to her chatter, sing songs with her on the 15 minute ride up the mountain, make "wooooooo" noises when we careen around the curves, get hugs and kisses for no other reason than that she's happy to see me, and then (bonus time), I get to get hugs and kisses from Charlie, who now calls me "Nonny", which makes me so happy it almost makes me cry, and if I'm REAL lucky (which I was today) I get a Kegan-hug.   The only thing in the world better this are Shea, Kacey and Brennan hugs.  True story.
So Venice and I were heading out of the school and she was skipping ahead of me and I was walking behind her, just enjoying the presence of her happy little person, when one of the teachers who works at the school with me that I don't know real well walked past me and said, "Now THAT is a beautiful face!"  I assumed he was talking about Venice until he added, "You should bring her to work with you every day... she turns you from pretty to beautiful."  Then he smiled and said, "There's nothing quite like loving a child, is there." 
Awwwwwww! 
This little girl makes me glow so much that someone who doesn't even really know me can see it.  She takes me back to the time when my boys were little and filled my life with such joy and sweetness.   I miss that (and them) so much that I believe it has aged me and shows on my face and in my spirit (unfortunately)... but 30 seconds with Venice brings it right back. 
She's my own little Fountain of Youth.
We got into the car and she sang "Bringing home a baby bumblebee," then ordered ME to sing it, which I did, which then led to one of our usual totally pointless but perfect conversations:
Venice:  Where's Charles?  Is he at my house?
Me:  Yes, Charles is at your house.  (It totally cracks me up that she always refers to Charlie as "Charles."  It's hilarious to hear her say it.)
Venice:  Is Kegan at my house?
Me:  Yes, Kegan is at your house.
Venice:  Is  my Dada at my house?
Me:  Yes, your Dada is at your house.
Venice:  Is my Mama at my house?
Me:  No, your Mama is at work.
Venice:  And my Dani is taking me home.
Me:  Yes, Dani is taking you home.
Venice:  MY Dani is taking me home.
Me:  Yes, Dani is taking you home.
Venice:  MY Dani.
I considered repeating it a few more times, just to hear her say "MY Dani" but I forced myself to stop.
I love love LOVE being "her" Dani. 
Thank you, Miss Venice, for giving me back a little of the magic.
Have I mentioned how much I love that child?

No comments:

Post a Comment